Admission to Ph.D. Program at KU
STEP 1: Apply to the KU Office of Graduate Studies
- Apply online through the Office of Graduate Studies (http://graduate.ku.edu/)
- From the Graduate Studies webpage, select Admissions.
- Establish an account, complete application and pay fees online.
- If you encounter problems with the online application process itself, please email email@example.com.
- Questions in general (regarding the program, application status, etc) can be emailed to the ELPS Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 2: Required Support Documents from Doctoral applicants
- One official copy of your academic transcript from each college or university attended.
- Official transcripts from an international university must include an English translation of all documents in addition to the official transcript in the original language, or documentation that the University's mode of instruction is English.
- English Proficiency Requirement: TOEFL or IELTS scores required (if your native language is not English). View KU’s Minimum English Proficiency Requirements for more information.
- Resume or Electronic Portfolio.
- One-two page Statement of Purpose indicating how the program is related to your career goals.
- Three letters of recommendation from qualified individuals. One should be a nominating letter from the applicant's immediate supervisor and at least one of the other letters from a former professor. The letters should include information regarding qualifications for leadership positions and capacity for rigorous graduate study. It is important that the letters speak specifically to the applicant's academic skills and abilities.
- Financial document (international applicants only).
- Graduate Records Exam (GRE) scores.
- A sample of academic writing.
International applicants are strongly encouraged to complete their application files well in advance of these deadlines, in order to ensure adequate time for processing of visa-related paperwork.