Admission to Ph.D. Program at KU
The University of Kansas is a great place to pursue a graduate degree, since graduate education is central to KU’s mission of learning, scholarship and creative activity. We invite you to explore our graduate degree information, review our student resources, and learn more on our knowledgeable faculty and the vibrant community of Lawrence, Kansas.
Once you’ve decided to apply, use the Apply Now button on this page to get started! Please note that KU does not accept paper applications for admission. The online application is designed to give you the ability to submit all supporting documents in one form.
Application Deadlines for Ph.D. in Social & Cultural Studies in Education
Apply before July 1 to begin in the Fall Semester
Apply before Nov 1 to begin in the Spring Semester
Apply before March 1 to begin in the Summer Semester
STEP 1: Begin application online
STEP 2: Submit required support documents
- One official copy of your academic transcript from each college or university attended.
- Resume or Electronic Portfolio.
- One-two page Statement of Purpose indicating how the program is related to your career goals.
- Three letters of recommendation from qualified individuals. One should be a nominating letter from the applicant's immediate supervisor and at least one of the other letters from a former professor. The letters should include information regarding qualifications for leadership positions and capacity for rigorous graduate study. It is important that the letters speak specifically to the applicant's academic skills and abilities.
- Graduate Records Exam (GRE) scores.
- A sample of academic writing.
- English Proficiency Requirement: TOEFL or IELTS scores required (if your native language is not English). View KU’s Minimum English Proficiency Requirements for more information.
International applicants are strongly encouraged to complete their application files well in advance of these deadlines, in order to ensure adequate time for processing of visa-related paperwork.
- Official transcripts from an international university must include an English translation of all documents in addition to the official transcript in the original language, or documentation that the University's mode of instruction is English.
- Financial document (international applicants only).