Marlesa A. Roney, Ph.D., serves as Professor of Practice in the Educational Leadership and Policy Studies department of the School of Education at the University of Kansas, a position she has held since January 2012. She currently teaches graduate courses in student affairs administration, higher education law, and supervises the doctoral field experiences and masters level for-credit internships.
Prior to her appointment as a faculty member, Roney completed 30 years of service in higher education administration, including Vice Provost for Student Success at the University of Kansas, Vice President for Student Affairs at The University of Akron, and Registrar at Purdue University. She earned her Ph.D. at Purdue University in Student Personnel Administration, and Master of Science in Counseling and Personnel Services and Bachelor of Science degrees in Psychology and in Elementary Education at Kansas State University.
Summary: Over 30 years of progressive administrative experience in large public universities and over 10 years of experience teaching graduate coursework in higher education administration. Proven senior leadership, management, problem-solving and communication skills. Strong commitment to creating a collaborative, diverse work environment with a focus on student success. Significant experience in student retention research, enrollment forecasting, enrollment management, strategic planning and program development. Solid technical skills. I value integrity, diversity, teamwork, collaboration, employee development, excellence and continuous improvement.
- Higher education administration, student affairs administration, higher education law, strategic planning, leadership, change management.
- Ph.D., Student Personnel Administration, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana ,1985
- M.S., Counseling and Personnel Services, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, 1981
- B.S., Psychology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, 1980
- B.S., Elementary Education, Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, 1980
- Student persistence through degree completion
- Student services administration in higher education
|ELPS||781||Student Affairs Administration in Higher Education||syllabus|
|ELPS||981||Higher Education Law|
- KU Women's Hall of Fame, 2008
- National Residence Hall Honorary, Honorary Member, University of Kansas, 2007
- Strategic Planning Steering Committee, University of Kansas, 2010-2011
- Kansas Athletics Inc., Board of Directors and Chancellor's Advisory Committee, University of Kansas, 2004-2011
- Student Administration PeopleSoft Executive Sponsor and Leadership Team, University of Kansas, 2003-2011
- Vice President, Memorial Corporation Board (Kansas Unions), University of Kansas, 2003 – 2011
- Admissions Task Force (Chair), University of Kansas, 2009 – 2010
- Retention and Graduation Task Force, University of Kansas, 2009 – 2010
- Tuition Advisory Committee, University of Kansas, 2009 – 2010
- Graduate in Four Task Force, University of Kansas, 2005 – 2008
- United Way Board of Directors, Lawrence, KS, 2011-13
- United Way Campaign, University of Kansas Chair, 2006
- Planning Committee, National Association of Student Councils (NASC), 2007 Conference, Blue Valley Northwest High School, Overland Park, KS. 2003 – 2007.
- Association for Public and Land Grant Universities (APLU, formerly NASULGC)
- 2010 – 2011 Chair-Elect, Council on Student Affairs
- 2009 – 2011 Secretary, Council on Student Affairs
- 2005 - 2011 Executive Committee, Council on Student Affairs
- National Association for Student Personnel Administrators Region IV-West (NASPA IV-West)
- 2011-13 Board Member
- 2010 Mid-Level Institute Faculty Member
- 2009-2010 Conference Planning Committee, Major Speakers
- Roney, M.A., Wright, K. & York, A. (2011, June). Proactive auditing: Self assessments with audit substantiation. Annual meeting of the Big 12 Internal Auditors. Lawrence, KS.
- Roney, M.A. (2011, March). Effective organizational change. Professional edge series. University of Kansas Edwards Campus.
- Roney, M.A. (2010, November). Enrollment management 101. NASPA IV-W Mid-Level Institute. Omaha.
- Roney, M.A. (2010, November). Why are we doing this? Learning outcomes and assessment. NASPA IV-W Mid-Level Institute. Omaha.
- Roney, M.A. (2010, July). Campus life and student success: They depend on you. Invited keynote speaker. Mortar Board Annual Conference. Chicago.
- Roney, M.A., Carswell, J.W., and Zhiri, N. (2010, March). Building a sense-of-home when constructing new residence halls. Program session. Annual Meeting of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, Chicago.
- Roney, M.A. (2009, November). When the media drains your spirit: Strategies for media messaging. National Association of Student Personnel Administrators IV-West Annual Conference, Santa Fe.