Susan B. Twombly is professor of higher education and chair of the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies. Her PhD is in Higher Education from the Pennsylvania State University. Her research interests include postsecondary faculty member’s careers, international higher education, and community colleges. She teaches courses in qualitative research, program evaluation and assessment in higher education and postsecondary curriculum. She and her colleagues have recently completed and published several articles on foreign-born faculty members working at US colleges and universities. She is lead author on a recently published monograph entitled Study Abroad in a New Global Century. Dr. Twombly is chairing the University of Kansas self-study for HLC reaccreditation.
Bean, A., & Twombly, S. B. (2015). Undergraduate Research and Study Abroad: Lessons from an NSF Partnership in Research and Education (PIRE) Grant. CURQ on the Web, 36(2), 9-19.
Twombly, S. B. (2015). "Lift the Chorus Ever Onward": Leading the University. In J. L. Rury & K. Cary Warren (Eds.), Transforming the University of Kansas: A History, 1965-2015. University Press of Kansas.
Kim, D., Wolf-Wendel, L., & Twombly, S. (2013). The role of citizenship status in intent to leave for pre-tenured faculty. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education, 6(4), 245-260. DOI:10.1037/a0034719
Kim, D., Twombly, S., & Wolf-Wendel, L. E (2012). International faculty in American universities: Experiences of academic life, productivity, and career mobility. In Y. J Xu (Ed.), Refine the Focus on University Faculty: The Interplay of Diversity, Time, and Methodology(155th ed.) (Vol. 2012, pp. 27-44). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley. DOI:10.1002/lr.20020
Twombly, S. B., Salisbury, M. H., Tumanut, S. D., & Klute, P. (2012). Study Abroad in a New Global Century: Renewing the Promise, Refining the Purpose, Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. 149.
Kim, D., Twombly, S. B., & Wolf-Wendel, L. Ellen (2011). International faculty: Experiences of academic life and productivity in US universities. Journal of Higher Education, 82(6), 720-747.
Twombly, S. B (2010). Mission drift II. For 21st Century Scholars Blog Current Issues in Higher Education. 21stcenturyscholar.org/2010/11/16/part-iii-a-blog-series-by-dr-susan-twombly/
- Ph.D., Higher Education, Penn State University, State College, Pennsylvania, 1985
- M.S., Counseling and Guidance, State University of New York, Plattsburg, New York, 1972
- B.A., History, Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 1970
- Postsecondary faculty, including community college and international faculty
- Women in higher education
- Higher education in Latin America
- Assessment and accreditation
- Kim, D., Twombly, S.B., and Wolf-Wendel, L. (2011). Longitudinal study of foreign-born faculty mobility (in process).
- Kim, D., Twombly, S.B., and Wolf-Wendel, L. (In press). International faculty: Experiences of academic life and productivity in US universities. Journal of Higher Education.
- Kim, D., Twombly, S., & Wolfwendel, L. J. (2008). Factors predicting community college faculty satisfaction with instructional autonomy. Community College Review, Vol.35, No.3. pp.159-180
- Townsend, B.K., & Twombly, S. (2007). Accidental equity: The status of women in the community college. Equity and Excellence in Education,40(3), 208-217.
- Baker, B.D., Wolf-Wendel, L., Twombly, S. (2007). Exploring the Faculty Pipeline in Educational Administration: Evidence from the Survey of Earned Doctorates 1990 to 2000. Educational Administration Quarterly, 43 (2), 189-220.
|ELPS||871||Introduction to Qualitative Research|
|ELPS||885||Assessment and Program Evaluation in Higher Education|
|ELPS||983||Curriculum and Innovation in Higher Education|
- Vice-President AERA Division J, 2007-2010
- Higher Learning Commission Peer Evaluation Corps
- University of Kansas University Senate President, 2004-2005
- Fulbright Scholar, Ecuador, 1995